Speaking of things I had no idea about (in Ukarumpa) when coming to PNG 9 years ago.....cutting hair is definitely one of those things! I think I came thinking that unless I quickly learned to cut hair, we all would just grow hairy and shaggy and decidedly more "missionary-ish and out of fashion"!
So, early on, I did learn how to cut hair. (Thanks, Matt for all your patience in those early, hour-long haircutting sessions!) And as the years have gone by, and my family has grown, I'm thankful that I have at least a fairly basic knowledge of cutting hair. It's saved us a bunch of money when we were home on furloughs. But one thing I have not been able to learn is how to cut my own hair. And Matt has no interest in attempting to cut mine.
So I'm very thankful when there are other people here in Ukarumpa who are willing to cut hair. Way back, when Nathan was a baby, there was actually someone here who was a professional hairdresser. Her husband even turned a building into a hair salon and for way cheaper than you could ever get in the US, I could get my hair cut and even highlighted. But then they left. Now, sometimes it's a bit hit-or-miss when it comes to getting hair cut. I'm so thankful for the couple of people who are willing to cut hair. But occassionally, they are all gone from Ukarumpa at the same time, and then we have to wait!
About 3 months ago, I was getting desperate and I actually attempted the "pony tail on the top of the head" cut. I think if my hair wasn't so fine and straight I could have gotten away with it. But even though I tried to make the cut straight, it wasn't, and Matt laughed a little when I went to him to check it. But he didn't get to laugh too hard because I then handed him the scissors and said, "Fix it!"
So last weekend I was very thankful to get the chance to go to Donna for a haircut. I don't actually know if she has any professional training, but she's had lots of experience and gives amazing haircuts. I was feeling in a rut with my hair, and also in an adventurous mood, so I basically went and told her that I'd like to be able to get most of it back into a ponytail for when I work out or am in the village. So she did just that. =) It's way shorter than I can ever remember having it, but I love it! =)
Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado part II)
3 weeks ago





No comments:
Post a Comment