I love living in Ukarumpa! There are so many great things about being here. It does take a little getting used to/readjusting to how things are done however. In the states, everything is convienent and easy. Or at least, relatively speaking. Here, the pace of life is a bit slower, but you do have to plan ahead and do a bit more.
Yesterday was a holiday. So after the tremendously long school week of 2 days, we had Friday off. So dear friends of ours planned a "Back to School BBQ". It was great fun visiting and having the kids play, even if it poured off and on the whole time so that we were in the house.
But the morning before we went was crazy! I still am adjusting to how long it takes to prepare meals, etc here. I got up at 7am and walked down to the market to buy our fruits and veggies for the next few days (only available every M, W and F morning). When I got home, I started making some yogurt from scratch. Then, because we were going to a BBQ and having hamburgers, I got my bread dough started. (none of this just buying a bag of buns at the store here). I was supposed to bring a dessert and a side dish, so I got my cookies and my mac and cheese (again, none of that boxed stuff) going. Then some friends stopped by mid-morning to get some books I was giving away and I got 2 loads of laundry washed and then hung up outside. Suddenly, it was already 11:30, a whole half hour after our get-together started and I was racing madly to finish shaping the hamburger patties and get Julianne's diaper changed so we could go over.
Where on earth does the time go??? I just need to re-adjust to meal planning and daily life here! I'm getting better, and it comes back pretty quickly. I just have to remember to start dinner about 4pm if I want it to be done by 6. And to give myself a good 15 minutes per load to get the clothes hung on the line. And not to stress if unexpected visitors drop by and my plans go out the window.
But hey, because yesterday was a holiday, I now have a "second Saturday" to relax a little. (and the bbq was great fun, and I even got to go play Bunco with a group of friends (and no Julianne) last night! =) ) Now, to just not forget to get my chicken kabobs made and marinating before it gets too late in the day!
Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado part II)
3 weeks ago





Once again, my admiration of you is complete! I'm struggling with how long everything takes--and I only have one kid...and a Walmart! you're awesome! Here's to readjustments! :o)
ReplyDelete