Because we have to leave the country to find a decent hospital for having Baby, we go to Cairns, Australia. Since this will be our fourth baby born there, it really feels like a home away from home, away from home. =)
We love going to Cairns! Yeah, the days can get a bit long, and it's really expensive for us to stay there (especially with the pathetic US dollar right now), and it will be a bit squishy (all 4 kids will share a bedroom, and we're going to have to get really creative in trying to figure out a workable way to homeschool with little kids playing in the same room). But I can't wait to go!
Some of our most favorite things about being in Cairns are:
*Muddy's (an awesome playground that also has a water-fountain section for the kids to play in)
| Kaitlyn in 2006 playing at Muddy's |
*The Lagoon (a public swimming pool that is also like a man-made beach that is a ton of fun)
| 2009 at the Lagoon |
*going swimming
*McDonald's, Dominos and other restaurants
| McDonalds! |
*Large, well-stocked grocery stores
*A big bathtub to wash the kids in (seriously, on furlough and in Cairns a "normal" bathtub is considered to be a swimming pool by our kids, who are used to the tiny base of our shower as a tub)
*Everything being cleaner (I won't have to scrub black feet every time the kids come in from outside, and their natural skin color may finally start to show again!)
*paved roads and sidewalks
*Blending in!!! (It's amazing how much of a sense of relief it is to just fit in -- well, until we open our mouths-- it's nice not to be the very tallest (even taller than the men) and just constantly stick out like a sore thumb)
*Shopping! Walmart, Target, etc, here I come! =)
*Date night with my favorite guy (here in Ukarumpa, there is nowhere to go for a date)
*Rusty's (an awesome farmer's market for fresh fruit and veggies-- as much as I love tropical fruit, I miss some good stuff like grapes, apples, oranges, etc!)
*Real Ice Cream!!! (not the PNG variety which is more Ice than Cream)
*And last, but definitely not the least: Family and friends who will be visiting during our time in Cairns!!!!!





OH, how could I forget these:
ReplyDelete*A clothes dryer for 2 months!!! I'll get to shrink clothes back to their more normal, non-stretched out size, and they can be dry in an hour, rather than all day!
*Clean feet!!!!
*Free internet