Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finding the Perfect Chili

I've been on a hunt to find the perfect Chili recipe.  I have my "classic" chili that I have been making for years, but I've been looking to update it.  So I've been reading recipes and trying to find that one chili that you taste and say "that's it!  that's the perfect chili!".  Just the right spiciness, the right bean-to-mince ratio, the right consistency.

So last night I tried a new recipe.  It's not quite perfect, but it's getting there.  I think it needed a little more kick.  And market beans, despite a long cooking time, are still a little harder than the kidney or pinto beans you get in a can.  But the consistency was perfect!  I think I'll try this one again, and add some more hot peppers/chili powder.

This is the recipe I made:

2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (*I used 3)
4 teaspoons tomato paste (I used maybe a tablespoon more and added some water to make it the consistency of tomato sauce)
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder (*I would use possible 1/2-1 TBSP more next time)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid (*I might possibly leave this out, but add more tomato sauce)
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (*or @ 4 cups of red market beans)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste 
 *I also added in 2 finely chopped green chili peppers from my garden... they are more on the mild side for a pepper


In a large skillet over medium heat, combine onion, garlic, and tomato paste (and pepper). Cover and cook for 5 minutes. 
Stir in butter until melted. Stir in flour, oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes and beef. Cook uncovered for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Stir in the beans and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste. 
 **I then transferred everything to my crock pot and turned it on for about 2 hours to let the flavors set more.
Yummy!


1 comment: