Monday, November 14, 2011

The Zoo

Thought this blog was going to be about life in the Taylor house, didn't you? =)  Well, many days this would be a fairly accurate description of my house.  Especially on the days when Kaitlyn decides she's an animal of some sort, and crawls around, growling or barking or whatever.

But no, I'm actually referring to a real zoo:  Cairns Tropical Zoo.

 


During Grammy and Gramps last week with us, we all headed out to the zoo.  It's a fairly small zoo, about twenty minutes north of Cairns.  All the animals and birds and such there are ones that are found here in Australia (and some that are the same as in PNG, too).  The kids had fun.  Julianne and Kaitlyn fed fish to pelicans that were taller than Julianne.  All the kids had a blast feeding kangaroos.  Thankfully, the zoo wasn't super crowded, and the kangaroos were actually willing to be fed (in past trips, the overfed kangaroos weren't interested in the least in their not-so-delicious-looking-pellets, much to the extreme disappointment of the kids!)



 We walked around and saw the various creatures, and attempted to go to a bird show.  It was rather hilarious, actually, as none of the birds were willing to cooperate.  The magpie took off and didn't return for a long time.  The owl hid in his hole and didn't come out until forced.  At least the guy running the show was good at improvising and had a sense of humor.  There must have been a strange, big bird in the area.

We got lunch at the little restaurant there, and ended the day with the crocodile show.  I've seen crocodile shows before, but I must admit, I was kind of scared for the guy this time.  He let the monster crocodile (a huge beast!) get really, really close.  I was worried the croc was going to say "maski about the dead chicken, I want me some real meat" and go straight for the guy's leg that was just a few inches behind said chicken.  Thankfully the guy got out of there in one piece!

What a way to sleep!
Now that's a relaxed Wombat (and yes, I checked:  it was still breathing!)
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't ever dare to set foot in this guy's pen!
I think the kids all had a really fun time (Thanks, Grammy and Gramps!!!), and Julianne has asked several times now if she can go back and see the animals again. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment