Thursday, November 25, 2010

The joys of potty training

I am currently in the throes of potty training. And desperately looking forward to being done!

It was my goal to have Julianne out of diapers before our next village stay (mid January), so it was on my mind (especially as she was daily telling me when she went). But because of a workshop coming up next week, and how she'll need to be in daycare several mornings, I was planning on putting it off until the workshop was over.

But Julianne had different plans! Last Tuesday she just up and refused to let me put her diaper on her. "No. Potty." She kept saying. So I thought, why not, and let her go sit on her little potty. And she went in it!!! (I had gotten her potty out when we got back from the village and she loved to go sit on it at random moments, but would never actually *do* anything in it). So thus began potty training.

So here I am, a week into it. Things are going fairly good. But I still get discouraged because it's hard to know how long this will take. For instance, yesterday we had a fairly good day. But twice she had accidents. Once, she didn't even bother to tell Matt that she needed to go, and she let out a little puddle on the floor. (thankfully, she just goes a little, and then does the rest on her potty) The other time I had a hard time not laughing! I was in the kitchen washing dishes from hosting my ladies' Bible study when I heard, "Momma, pee pee" (which usually means there's a little puddle somewhere). I ran over to see Julianne run across the room and plop down on her potty. No puddle anywhere. Hooray!!!! But then I realized she was still in her panties, while sitting on her potty.... now totally soaked. Oops.

I just keep hoping that she will be fully trained by a week or two more. After 4 1/2 years strong of trying to get my second born to stop wetting his pants, I can't take another lengthy training period and still keep my sanity (which is just barely clinging on!).

In the meantime, if you were/are in Ukarumpa, you'll see me back at that stage of carrying the little plastic potty everywhere we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment