Monday, April 4, 2011

Sorbet!

I made this today and it turned out really, really yummy.  It's definitely a keeper recipe:

Sweet and Silky Strawberry Sorbet

2 pounds ripe strawberries, hulled and chopped (or 2 containers berries from Market)
3/4 cup white sugar
pinch salt
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp cold water
5-6 tablespoons lemon juice 

Place berries in the work bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Combine berry puree, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat until melted and just simmering. Whisk cornstarch into the cold water; stir into heated berry mixture. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice. Cool slightly. Refrigerate berry mixture until cold, about 2 hours. 
Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. 

 I love trying out new recipes, but it's been a bummer lately because I've just been too sick for anything.  And often, one of my worst times of day is from 4pm on, which is not good when I need to be making dinner for the family.  We've had a plethora of grilled cheese sandwhiches lately, and boy oh boy, am I thankful for the 1 convience food I can get here:  frozen chicken nuggets.  When I can't send Matt to out to get something to go, or something already made like I could in the US, well, I take advantage of the few quick and easy (albeit expensive) things here.

But hopefully, very soon I'll be back to normal (mostly) and back to experimenting in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment